Web hosting is the process of hosting a website so that it is available over the internet. It is the purchasing or renting of space over the servers provided generally by hosting companies, where the website files (code files, images, text, videos etc.) are published.
Though it is possible to host a website at home itself but it is always recommended to use a web hosting service provider, as they offer many hosting benefits which are not easily achieved at home. These hosting benefits consists of making sure the server uses the latest technology, is up 24 x 7 x 365 and running smoothly; store and backup all your files and databases; and there are no security breaches.
To host a website here are the important requirements:
- Servers: These are either physical or virtual. These act as a host for the website/app.
- Domain Name System (DNS): It is a naming system used to map human-friendly domain name with the numerical IP Address, where the website resides on the hosting server(s).
- A Web Server running on the host.
- Usually a database.
- Ofcourse, internet connectivity and power supply.
Types Of Hosting Services:
- Shared Web Hosting
- Reseller Web Hosting
- Virtual Web Hosting Or Virtual Dedicated Server
- Dedicated Hosting
- Managed Hosting
- Cloud Hosting
- Clustered Hosting
- Colocation Web Hosting
- Grid Hosting
- Home Server